Oh my… history is certainly enlightening!!
Back in the day, there was “no such thing” as a woman’s sex drive. If you were a lady living before the 20th century and were experiencing feelings of anxiety, irritability, nervousness, heaviness in the lower abdomen, wetness between the legs, and erotic fantasies, doctors would diagnose you with “hysteria.”
In order to “cure” hysteria, doctors would apply vegetable oil to a woman’s genitals and message them until the woman suddenly felt a sense of relief. Or in other words, doctors treated hysteria with hand jobs. Because many doctors experienced chronic hand fatigue – achy, cramped fingers – from all the massaging they were doing, maintaining long-term treatment was difficult.
Because of that, physicians experimented with mechanical substitutes for their hands. Thus, the vibrator was born.
Sometimes history is more interesting than anything Hollywood comes up with. Hehe.
I should buy a book on the history of human sexuality, it’s fascinating to see how attitudes towards sex have changed. Oh wait- I have one I haven’t read yet! It’s in my stack of “I want to read these” books. lol.
On a serious note, reading things like this reminds me of the great strides we have made as women- and also just how far we have to go. Female sexuality has long been feared and misunderstood, but we’re making excellent progress in changing that. But we’re not there yet! Once words like “slut” stop being an insult and women aren’t called whores for enjoying sex, then we’ll be getting somewhere.
Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.
“If aliens ever land on earth and demand to see our leader, our best chance of survival is to bring them to Lady Gaga.”
Best thing I’ve seen all day! 😉
I love this look. What do you think?
Seriously, don’t you wish you were wearing these soft, comfy pants right now?
Although there are many social stigmas and tendencies that I would changes if given the magical opportunity, none cause me to sigh in pure rapture quite as much as the desire to have lounging pants made socially acceptable for all occasions.
Here are a few reasons why.
1. They’re actually comfortable. How many times have we suffered wearing uncomfortable clothes just because they look a certain way? I have frequents “ahhhhh” moments where I return home from being out of the house, put on my comfy lounging pants, and close my eyes in pure bliss. I am certain that many of you have felt this safe bliss.
2. They’re cheaper than dress clothes. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a new suit or dress when you can be much more comfortable in your gym pants? It’s so economical!
3. It saves time. Instead of changing from your dressy clothes into sweat pants, why not just wear them all the time?
4. Eco-friendly. Less clothes, less laundry- better for the environment!
5. You’ll work out more. Really, you will- you’re ready for the gym all day, so no more excuses!
6. Weddings! For those women who struggled with a huge, poofy, expensive wedding dress all day long for their wedding, you know how great lounging pants would have felt.
Apparently I’m not the only person who thinks the way! Check out these funky fashion ensembles that include comfy lounging pants: